General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves from 910. Books on specific topics can be found in those particular sections.
- Search the National Geographic Archive using login details which are available from library staff. Search all issues of National Geographic or browse subject based collections.
- Search DVC for audio-visual material. Please note you will only be able to view items rated G and PG and only while you are at school.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms e.g. ecology, environment, pollution.
- CTHS Library also holds specialist Geography magazines including Australian Geographic and National Geographic. The contents pages of Australian Geographic are searchable using Oliver.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- Search World Book Online Advanced or Timelines. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic.
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. General databases with which to start your research are:
- Informit – Provides access to Australasian scholarly research.
- Proquest Research Library – Index on a broad range of subjects.
- PAIS International – Global coverage of public affairs and world issues.
- Jstor – Subject based collections of content. Search across journals, books and pamphlets.
- National Library of Australia databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. A Geography database with which to start your research is:
- AusGeoRef – a subset of the GeoRef database published by the American Geological Institute. It contains bibliographic references to Australian geoscience literature.
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- A number of relevant websites are listed on the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue.
- The Conversation – independent source of news and views, sourced from the academic and research community and delivered direct to the public.
- OECD – Global statistics and publications.
- United Nations – Global statistics and publications.
- Scootle – a national repository that provides Australian schools with digital resources aligned to the Australian Curriculum. Refine your search by year level, resource type and topic. Login via the NSW Education button.