General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves from 909 to 998. Books on clothing, technology, mythology, food etc can be found in those particular sections.
- Search the National Geographic Archive using login details which are available from library staff. Search all issues of National Geographic or browse subject based collections.
- Search DVC for audio-visual material. Please note you will only be able to view items rated G and PG and only while you are at school.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms.
- CTHS Library also holds specialist History magazines including History Today and BBC History. The contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Expand your search to Trove by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Trove. This is a particularly useful site for Australian history source material.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- Search World Book Online Advanced or Timelines. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic.
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. General Modern History databases with which to start your research are:
- Cambridge Companions Online – Subject or theme based collections of content within a richly functional, fully cross-searchable online environment.
- Cambridge Histories Online – An historical reference compendium allows instant access to the renowned texts of the Cambridge Histories series.
- Jstor – Subject based collections of content. Search across journals, books and pamphlets.
- Artemis Primary Sources – search across archives of 17th, 18th and 19th century monographs, manuscripts, newspapers, maps and early photographs.
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.