General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves: water resources 333.91 & water 553.7; biology 570s; plants 580s & agriculture 630s; chemistry 540s, 660s & 641.3; human body 612s; disasters 904s.
- For audio visual resources, search DVC and ClickView by subject heading or title. DVC can only be viewed at school. ClickView can be accessed when you are at home. Restrictions apply based on age/rating.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms: water, water resources, human body, botany, plants, chemistry, space, disasters; see also specific topics – additives, chemicals, etc.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- The Sydney Morning Herald – digital edition accessible while at school.
- Current Social issues – search Oliver.
- Issues in Society – search by series in Oliver for relevant titles.
- Australian Science – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- ChemMatters – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Cosmos – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Search World Book Online Advanced. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- Australia – Department of the Environment and Energy
- ABC Science – explore by topic.
Bibliographies and Citations
- Ask your teacher for requirements; keep records up to date – retrospectively is difficult.
- Bibliography Generator – choose the style you need.