General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves from 930 to 986. Books on ancient clothing, technology, mythology, food etc can be found in those particular sections. Check the 820s for Ancient writers such as Homer and Euripides.
- Search the National Geographic Archive using login details which are available from library staff. Search all issues of National Geographic or browse subject based collections.
- Search DVC for audio-visual material. Please note you will only be able to view items rated G and PG and only while you are at school.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms.
- CTHS Library also holds specialist History magazines including Archaeological Diggings, History Today and BBC History. The contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- Search World Book Online Advanced or Timelines. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic.
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. General Ancient History databases with which to start your research are:
- Cambridge Companions Online – Subject or theme based collections of content within a richly functional, fully cross-searchable online environment.
- Cambridge Histories Online – An historical reference compendium allows instant access to the renowned texts of the Cambridge Histories series.
- Jstor – Subject based collections of content. Search across journals, books and pamphlets.
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.