General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves in the 530s.
- For audio visual resources, search ClickView by subject heading or title. ClickView can be accessed when you are at home. Restrictions apply based on age/rating.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms: earth science, geology, introduced species, mining, resources (names of specific ones), tectonics, animals, plants.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- The Sydney Morning Herald – digital edition accessible while at school.
- ChemMatters – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Australasian Science – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Cosmos – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- New Scientist Magazine – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- PLOS Journals – open access journals.
- Search World Book Online Advanced. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic.
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. Biology databases with which to start your research are:
- Proquest Science Journals
- Science in context (GALE)
- Science Reference Center (EBSCO)
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- A number of relevant websites are listed on the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue.
- PhET Interactive Simulations – Interactive simulations from the University of Colorado.
- The Physics Classroom covers basic physics topics using informative graphics and an easy-to-understand language.
Bibliographies and Citations
- Ask your teacher for requirements; keep records up to date – retrospectively is difficult.
- Bibliography Generator – choose the style you need.