General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves in the 530s.
- For audio visual resources, search DVC and ClickView by subject heading or title. DVC can only be viewed at school. ClickView can be accessed when you are at home. Restrictions apply based on age/rating.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms: earth science, geology, introduced species, mining, resources (names of specific ones), tectonics, animals, plants.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- The Sydney Morning Herald – digital edition accessible while at school.
- ChemMatters – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Australasian Science – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Cosmos – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- New Scientist Magazine – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- PLOS Journals – open access journals.
- Search World Book Online Advanced. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic.
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership. Choose a database by name. Biology databases with which to start your research are:
- Proquest Science Journals
- Science in context (GALE)
- Science Reference Center (EBSCO)
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- A number of relevant websites are listed on the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue.
- PhET Interactive Simulations – Interactive simulations from the University of Colorado.
- The Physics Classroom covers basic physics topics using informative graphics and an easy-to-understand language.
Bibliographies and Citations
- Ask your teacher for requirements; keep records up to date – retrospectively is difficult.
- Bibliography Generator – choose the style you need.