Earth and Environmental Science
General Resources for Senior Students
- Use the Information Skills Process (ISP) on the Research page to guide you.
- Browse the non-fiction shelves: 333.7s – natural resources, 500s – science, 548/549 – crystals/minerals, 550s – geology, 590s – particular animals, 622 – mining engineering, 632s – pests (introduced species).
- For audio visual resources, search ClickView by subject heading or title. ClickView can be accessed when you are at home. Restrictions apply based on age/rating.
- Search the CTHS Library Oliver catalogue using subject terms: earth science, geology, introduced species, mining, resources (names of specific ones), tectonics, animals, plants.
- Expand your search to Hornsby Library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Hornsby Shire Library. If you are a member of Hornsby Library you can borrow their items.
- Expand your search to Macquarie University library resources by running a search in Oliver, click other providers and select Macquarie University Library. You can access their hard copy resources onsite but will be unable to borrow.
- The Sydney Morning Herald – digital edition accessible while at school.
- Issues in Society – search by series in Oliver for relevant titles.
- ChemMatters – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Australasian Science – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Cosmos – the contents pages are searchable using Oliver.
- Search World Book Online Advanced. This is a reliable starting point for research if you don’t know much about the topic
- State Library of NSW databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- Hornsby Library databases require you to sign up for free membership.
- Earth Science Australia – simple overview.
- Australia – State of the Environment – by topics.
- Geoscience Australia – Scientific Topics
- ABC Science – explore by topic.
- The Conversation – Environment + Energy
- Parks & Wildlife Service Tasmania – Geoheritage: Continental Drift and Gondwana.
Bibliographies and Citations
- Ask your teacher for requirements; keep records up to date – retrospectively is difficult.
- Bibliography Generator – choose the style you need.